Our kit has all the essential tips and tools that can get your organisation reducing waste, saving money and improving staff morale.
Where do I start?
No-brainer: Start with the Workplace Recycling No-Brainer Checklist: An introductory checklist of the simple steps businesses/workplaces can take to start winning the war on workplace waste.
How do I build a case?
- The Business Case for Less Waste: Use our guide on how to make the case for less waste and find out how improved waste management can:
- Reduce unnecessary costs
- Boost staff morale
- Provide a competitive or efficiency edge
- Improve environmental outcomes!
- Find the right team: Involve key people such as facility managers, cleaners, and who is going to coordinate the review and implement outcomes
- Kickstart your review: Use our adaptable email for starting a recycling review!
How do I get a snapshot of my waste?
- Get help: If you're a business in NSW, you may be eligible for a free waste assessment and a rebate of between $1k and $50k for equipment to help you recycle, funded by the NSW EPA.
- Bin Trim: Use the free Bin Trim tool to conduct a simple waste audit and come out with an action plan. This could help contribute to an office building, shopping centre, hotel or data centre's NABERS (National Australian Built Environment Rating System) Waste rating.
- Packaging waste: If your business uses or manufactures packaging, then evaluating its recyclability via the Packaging Recyclability Evaluation Portal (PREP) is the first step in reducing its end of life waste. The PREP can be used to design more recyclable packaging and to underpin claims on the Australasian Recycling Label.
How do I review my waste contracts?
- Be guided: Use the Guide to Reviewing Waste and Recycling Contracts to evaluate existing waste management activities - 'Don't rush - engaging contractors and getting proper systems in place can take time, so it's worth being thorough and doing it right to get the best results.'
- Explore equipment: Small-scale recycling equipment such as balers, compactors or even worm farms can make it easier and cheaper for businesses to recycle - discuss potential advantages with your waste contractor. Search our Recycling Equipment Catalogue
How do I choose the right recycler?
How do I promote to colleagues?
How do I buy it back?
- Planet Ark Paper: Switch to 100% Australian recycled office paper.
Recycled Products Directory: Use our directory to properly close the recycling loop
- Sustainable procurement policies: Your first step to sustainable procurement could start with establishing a ‘buy recycled’ policy. Check out our tips
How do I promote to customers?
How do I choose to reuse?
Help colleagues use replace single use plastic with company branded reusables such as:
- Coffee cups: As Responsible Cafes suggest, there are all sorts of reusable cups to choose from - colourful KeepCups, stainless steel Cheeki's, stylin' Frank Green's, strong-as Kleen Kanteen's or even good ol' ceramic kitchen mugs.
- Water bottles: You can find many reputable brands of reusable water bottles at Biome or Going Green Solutions.
- Shopping bags: With the major supermarkets banning the bag it’s the perfect time to promote your brand whilst doing something good for the environment. Companies like Onya can supply custom branded bags made from recycled plastic bottles.
How do I explore waste as a resource?
- Circular Economy: Register your interest in the Australian Circular Economy Hub to go from a linear take-make-dispose system to a truly circular model or find out about industrial ecology programs.
- Learn from success stories: Be inspired by high performing business recyclers who are reducing waste and costs whilst improving staff morale.