November 19, 2021
The items will be phased out by November 2022.
A suite of single-use plastic products will be banned by the end of next year under legislation passed by the NSW Parliament on Tuesday. The Plastics Circular Economy Act 2021 has set the following deadlines for phasing out problematic products:
Lightweight plastic bags will be banned from June 2022.
Plastic straws, stirrers, cutlery, bowls and plates will be banned from November 2022.
Styrofoam cups, plates and containers will be outlawed from November 2022.
Plastic-stemmed cotton buds and microbeads — small plastic beads found in beauty products — will also be banned from November 2022.
NSW generates 800,000 tonnes of plastic every year and only 10 per cent of that is recycled. The remaining 90 per cent ends up in landfill or the natural environment.
"This legislation is expected to stop 2.7 billion single-use items from ending up in our natural environment and waterways over the next 20 years and is a game-changer in the fight against plastic waste across our state," Environment Minister Matt Kean said.
NSW joins Victoria, Queensland, South Australia and the ACT in outlawing problematic single-use plastics.
Head here to learn more about the bans.
Planet Ark does not take responsibility for the accuracy of the original information and encourages readers to check the references before using this information for their own purposes.
Lucy started her career working as a writer and editor in print and digital publishing. She went on to create content for Australia's leading sustainable fashion platform while completing her Master of Cultural Studies. Lucy spends her downtime at the beach, crocheting and hanging out with her cat Larry. She believes words can change the world and is stoked to help Planet Ark spread the message of positive environmental change.
November 26, 2021Rachael Ridley
November 24, 2021Rachael Ridley