Garage Sale Trailing Right Around Australia
Author: Ryan Collins
Garage Sale Trail is one big day of Garage Sales happening in every state for the first time on Saturday October 24th. And there are so many benefits to jumping on board.
Growing from one event in a Sydney suburb to a campaign involving more than 160 councils, last year over 350,000 people participated with 2.9 million pre-loved items up for sale. It is free for shoppers and sellers and anyone can get involved from households, schools, community groups and businesses.
For shoppers it’s an awesome way to find treasure, connect with your community and promote reuse and sustainability. For example, one pair of jeans sold at every Garage Sale saves 27.25 Olympic swimming pools of water!
For sellers it’s the perfect way to de-clutter during your Spring clean, make some money or fundraise, re-home useful stuff and avoid sending it to landfill, meet neighbours and have fun.
And if you have stuff leftover after the event, then check out RecyclingNearYou to find other reuse and recycling options in your area.
To get involved visit garagesaletrail.com.au.
Ryan is the Recycling Programs Manager at Planet Ark. After nearly a decade working in the banking and finance industry Ryan was drawn to a career in environmental conservation that saw him work in Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands and Fiji. With a background in psychology and environmental management, Ryan’s role at Planet Ark since 2012 has been focused on developing engaging and positive environmental behaviour change programs to help everyone recycle and reduce waste.
- MobileMuster and Envirostream help councils in VIC »
- Battery industry leaders welcome support of Ministers for fast tracking a battery stewardship scheme »
- Planet Ark urges Ipswich Council to reverse decision to send valuable materials to landfill - and the Council agrees »
- The 'queen of green steel' launches landmark e-waste microfactory »
- Win the war on waste at work! »
- How online sharing groups are building communities »