Free child car seat recycling trial
Author: Ryan Collins
A new child car safety seat recovery trial program has been set up in a number of location across Queensland, NSW and Victoria offering parents a free and environmentally-friendly option for disposing of their old child car restraints. By collecting and disassembling the seats, the program aims to divert waste away from landfill and back into the recycling stream.
It is estimated that more than 200,000 child car seats are disposed of every year. Most of them are sent to landfill, despite at least 90 per cent of the materials being recyclable.
Families can do their bit to reduce their environmental footprint by disposing of their used child car safety seats by 30 August 2017.
The following types of child car safety seats are acceptable for disposal:
- Rear facing infant carriers and bases
- Forward facing seats
- Booster seats
Drop off your child car safety seat for free at the following locations:
New South Wales
- Tamworth Community Recycling Centre, Forest Road,Tamworth, NSW, 2340
- Kiama Community Recycling Centre, 446 Riverside Dr, Minnamurra NSW 2533
- Penrith Community Recycling Centre, 42 Charles Street (access of Dunheved Circuit), St Marys NSW 2760
- Nudgee Resource Recovery Centre, 1402 Nudgee Rd, Nudgee Beach, QLD, 4014
- Willawong Resource Recovery Centre, 360 Sherbrooke Rd, Willawong, QLD, 4110
- Reedy Creek Community Waste and Recycling Centre, 61 Hutchinson Street, Burleigh Heads, QLD 4220
- Darebin Resource Recovery Centre, 30 Kurnai Avenue, Reservoir VIC 3073
Find out more about the trial at Equilibrium.
Ryan is the Recycling Programs Manager at Planet Ark. After nearly a decade working in the banking and finance industry Ryan was drawn to a career in environmental conservation that saw him work in Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands and Fiji. With a background in psychology and environmental management, Ryan’s role at Planet Ark since 2012 has been focused on developing engaging and positive environmental behaviour change programs to help everyone recycle and reduce waste.