Give someone a (indoor) tree this Christmas!
Author: Claire Bell
Still looking for that perfect last minute gift? We’ve come up with some indoor plant recommendations which not only look good but also clean the air and bring a little bit of nature into your home.
Plants are a great gift option with many varieties able to withstand low light conditions and a fair amount of neglect!
Here are our top five plant picks:
- Fortune Fern (Zamioculcas zamiifolia) - also called 'Zanzibar Gem'.It likes moderate light levels and will go for weeks without water - very handy when you're on holidays.
- Peace Lily (Spathiphyllum)
- Perfect for low-light areas. Great in the laundry or bathroom, the peace lily removes mould spores. The plant itself does not require large amounts of water or sunlight to survive. Note this plant is toxic to cats if eaten.
- Rubber Plant (Ficus Elastica)
Like its name suggests the Rubber Plant is tough, capable of surviving and thriving in much less light and lower temperatures than most plants of its size.
- Chinese Evergreen (Aglaonema)
The more time this plant spends in a space, the more effective it becomes at removing the air pollutants and toxins of the area. Much like the Peace Lily it can happily exist in even a low-light setting.
- Bamboo Palm (Chamaedorea)
Another great air purifier and also pumps moisture back into the air. A nice structural plant that looks great. These three different kinds are all easy to grow indoors or in containers: The dwarf, the bamboo and the hardy bamboo.
The above choices are inexpensive, easy to grow and should keep giving pleasure for many years. For more information on caring for indoor plants visit ABC's Gardening Page.
Claire has been working at Planet Ark since 2011, after working in the communications industry and raising a young family. She is passionate about her children and helping the environment. Claire is super-organised and excellent multitasker, which helps in her joint roles as Office Manager and Campaign Coordinator.
- Lendlease has received the green light for a second timber office building at Barangaroo South. »
- Approval granted for New Zealand's tallest wooden office block »
- Win the war on waste at work! »
- It pays to be paper wise in the office »
- Our green resolutions »
- Office paper flung all over the country »